Travelers Reading Guide
Travelers of the Silk Road
- The Silk Road was not an actual road of bricks and pavement. What was it?
- How much of the Silk Road did most travelers use?
- Why did the Han emperor of China want to defeat the Xiung-nu nomads?
- Describe the kingdoms of central Asia that Zhang Qian discovered.
- What products did these kingdoms have?
- Although Zhang Qian couldnt make an alliance against the Xiung-nu, what resulted from his trip?
- Why did Xuanzang want to travel to India?
- What was the major religion of Central Asia?
- In what building were Xuanzangs texts housed?
- Who were the Chinese most determined enemy?
- From where were the Polos?
- Was trade easier or harder under Mongol rule? Why?
- What did the Great Khan want the Polos to bring back from the west?
- What was the major religon of the Silk Road at this point?
- Why did merchants begin to use the sea routes instead of the land route?
- To where was Ibn Battutas first journey?
- Name three places to which Ibn Battuta traveled where he found Muslims.
- For whom did Zheng He work?
- What was the purpose of Zheng Hes expeditions?
- What was Zheng Hes religion?
- Why had the Silk Road declined by the time of Aurel Stein?
- What did Stein discover at Dunhuang?
- Why did the Chinese try to stop Steins later expeditions?